Death toll rises to 15 in Philippine earthquake, hundreds injured
4 years ago tngadmin Comments Off on Death toll rises to 15 in Philippine earthquake, hundreds injured
DUSHANBE, 11.02.2017. /NIAT Khovar/. The death toll from a powerful earthquake that rattled a southern Philippine city on Friday night has risen to at least 15, Xinhua news agency reported citing an official on Saturday.
Surigao del Norte Governor Sol Matugas said that at least 100 residents had been injured in the magnitude-6.7 quake struck 10:03 p.m. local time Friday 14 km northwest of Surigao City in Surigao del Norte province.
Matugas confirmed in an earlier TV interview that four have indeed died in the quake.
The government disaster agency in Manila has yet to issue official data of damage or casualty.
Matugas said that the earthquake caused power outages in the city, destroyed the airport runway, bridges and buildings, including hotels and schools.
Already, airport authorities in Manila decided on Saturday to cancel flights going to Surigao City.
Tremors were felt in neighboring provinces such as southern Leyte, Mandate City, Butuan City, Tacloban and Cebu City, in the central Philippines.
The institute has recorded at least 89 aftershocks after Friday's quake.
While, the U.S. Geological Survey said the quake, measuring 6.5 on the Richter scale, struck at a depth of 27 km.
Source: National information agency of Tajikistan