Global Weather Hazards Summary June 24 – 30, 2022
2 months ago tngadmin Comments Off on Global Weather Hazards Summary June 24 – 30, 2022
Poor rainfall strengthens dryness in South Sudan as drought persists in the Horn of Africa
1. A poor March to May rainy season cased drought across much of East Africa, including north-central and eastern Ethiopia, Kenya-Ethiopia border, much of Somalia, and southern Kenya. Parts of southern Kenya are classified under severe drought.
2. Insufficient rainfall since May has caused abnormal dryness and drought in southwestern South Sudan.
3. Insufficient and uneven rainfall since the start of the monsoon season has caused significant abnormal dryness and drought in northeastern Nigeria.
4. Heavy rainfall during the past week triggered landslides in Abidjan, Cote d’Ivoire. Continued heavy rainfall maintains high risks for flooding over the region.
5. Heavy rainfall over the past week triggered floods in Cape Town and the Western Cape Province in South Africa. Additional rainfall could exacerbate conditions over previously-flooded areas
Source: Famine Early Warning System Network