Pamir Energy continues strengthening and expanding the GBAO regional transmission network

7 months ago tngadmin Comments Off on Pamir Energy continues strengthening and expanding the GBAO regional transmission network

Press release, issued by the Aga Khan Development Network (AKDN) Resident Office in Tajikistan, says the completion of high voltage line will pave the way for increasing reliability and quality of the power supply, and enhancing resilience in the cross-border transmission network. This accomplishment is reportedly achieved through long-standing cooperation between the Governments of Tajikistan and Germany.

Construction of this section of transmission line is one of the five projects implemented since 2012 within the cooperation of the Government of Tajikistan, PATRIP Foundation, Aga Khan Foundation and Pamir Energy. Overall, throughout the years, this cooperation has improved the access to power and its reliability for 227,000 people in GBAO, Tajikistan and about 55,000 people in Badakhshan Province, Afghanistan who are connected to Pamir Energy grid. Through the second phase of the project which is under implementation additional 15.5 kilometers of 110 kV transmission line will be commissioned by the end of 2022.

Shugnan District Chairperson, Mr. Juma Jumazoda, offered his welcoming remarks at the inauguration ceremony in Buni Village to the visiting partners from PATRIP Foundation and extended his hearty appreciation to Pamir Energy, donors, and the implementation partners for establishing the transmission line.

“We would like to thank our development partners for their continuous efforts in improving access and reliability of electricity not only in Shugnan district but throughout the region, which ultimately leads to the expansion of the regional grid and contributes to our national strategy of energy security,” said Mr. Juma Jumazoda.

He also extended the readiness of the government to support Pamir Energy and development partners to continue their effort to strengthen access to clean and reliable electricity.

Present at the inauguration, Mr. Gerald Wahl, Program Manager at PATRIP Foundation, emphasized PATRIP’s commitment to the development of the region and appreciation for the hospitality of community members.

“We are very happy to continue that support and count on Pamir Energy as a very reliable and trusted partner, which has developed to one of the most successful partners and energy providers in the region. We hope to continue this trustful coordination together for the benefit of the GBAO people. We appreciate the support of the local government and the local community, and we also thank you very much for this continuous support,” Mr. Wahl added.

Lastly, the inauguration was well received by community members and partners. Pamir Energy leadership celebrated this new milestone and expressed gratitude to PATRIP, local government and community and implementation consultants and contractors for their support in implementation of energy projects in the region.

Shugnan VI Cross-border Energy Project (Phase I) is funded by the German Federal Foreign Office (GFFO) via the PATRIP Foundation and implemented by Pamir Energy (PE) from January 1, 2019 with the intended end date of June 30, 2022. Overall objective of the project is to contribute to PATRIP Foundation's vision: promote economic and social integration and development within the region.

Marking its 20 years anniversary in 2022, Pamir Energy (PE) was established by the Government of Tajikistan, the Aga Khan Fund for Economic Development (AKFED) in partnership with the International Finance Corporation (IFC). AKFED and IFC are the company’s shareholders. Pamir Energy Company (PE) is an integrated energy utility company operating in GBAO. PE’s establishment marked the formation of the first Public Private Partnership (PPP) in Central Asia, with the Government of Tajikistan transferring the operation and management of the energy assets in the region to PE in 2002 but maintaining ownership. Pamir Energy has been recognized among top 5 PPP models in 2009 and top 10 PPP models in 2016 by the United Nations Economic Council for Europe. PE’s goal is to bring light and warmth to GBAO by providing clean, reliable, and affordable electricity to every household and creating a sustainable, resilient energy network that will be handed back to the Government of Tajikistan at the end of the 25-year partnership. Pamir Energy has invested over US$ 223 million since 2002 to repair electrical infrastructure, expand hydroelectric capacity and establish a metering system in the region. Following its rehabilitation, about 98% of the 227,000 population of GBAO gained access to electricity and is working to cover the remaining 2% by 2023.

Source: Asia-Plus