Vienna terror attack: 14 suspects detained in police raids
7 months ago Web Desk 0
Two men and two women died of their wounds and 22 other people were wounded.
According to Radio Liberty, the gunman killed by the police was identified as a 20-year-old dual national of Austria and North Macedonia who had a previous terror conviction. The attacker was named as Kujtim Fejzulai, a man born in Austria with roots in North Macedonia who was sentenced to 22 months in prison in April last year because he had tried to travel to Syria to join the Islamic State terror group. He was granted early release in December.
Two other suspects were reportedly also said to have Macedonian roots.
The IS terror group claimed responsibility for the attack via its Amaq news agency, without providing evidence.
In a statement posted on Telegram, IS claimed that one of its followers, whom it identified as Abu Dagnah Al-Albany, used a gun and a machine gun to target crowds in Vienna before being shot by police, RFE/RL said.
Police conducted a series of raids in Vienna and Lower Austria, Interior Minister Karl Nehammer said on November 3, adding that they have found no evidence that a second shooter was involved.
Fourteen suspects have been arrested so far and Austrian police have raided 18 premises, according to CGTN.
Austrian Interior Minister Karl Nehammer said footage of the incident filmed on mobile phones showed no evidence of a second gunman, although the possibility had not been completely ruled out.
Source: Asia Plus